Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day # 213 - That Organization Thing

Christmas has passed and now it's time to get to work. I am back on my mission to organization. I've learned you start with your mind, not your desk. If your thoughts are disorganized (as mine have always been) you have no chance at organizing your world.

Lesson # 1: Amateurs remember, pros write it down.

Carry a notebook. I have always done this and I can tell you it could work, except that the notebooks I carry reflect what's happening upstairs: messy, disorganized, etc... It does no good to write down important information if you can't easily find it when you need it. I am learning this.

Lesson # 2: Listen Actively: In other words, ask questions.

When you are being given instructions, it's easy to zone out. If you make yourself ask questions, even simple, or stupid, questions, you're more likely to stay involved. I am learning this.

Lesson # 3: Create a system and stick to it.

Do whatever works for you. It may be a notepad, a PDA, or a spreadsheet. Whatever you do, just do it. As an old co-worker of mine used to say: a place for everything, and everything in its place. I am working on this one.

Lesson # 4: Have an accountability partner.

I work on my own and my office is in my house. I have enlisted Abby to help me stay organized. She warned me that she would be on my back constantly. I accepted because that is the only way this arrangement could possibly work.

Think of how much time you lose looking for papers, notes, whatever. Have you ever lost a deal because you lost a memo and didn't get back to someone on time. I have. I've made these mistakes and I am determined to never let them happen again. This is why I am creating the system.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas. God bless you. Make it a great day.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment