Sunday, December 12, 2010

Day # 199 - Father License

I'm writing so late because I've been working since 6:00 this morning. We had a big event in Weston and I've been there all day. Today was an interesting day. I've done dozens of these events over the years and have seen all kinds of things, but today was the first time I ever had to deal with an abandoned child. The father came back, but it took a while. The kid was about eight years old, the age of my daughter, and he was terrified. He came to me, presumably because he recognized me as an authority figure, with tears in his eyes telling me he didn't know where his father was.

After a while of searching and even announcing the lost child over the P.A., the sperm donor was still nowhere to be found so we called the cops. The father eventually showed up with a stupid grin on his face acting as if nothing had happened. I wanted to beat him to within an inch of his life, nurse him back to health, and then beat him completely to death. The child was so nervous he couldn't remember his own last name.

In my business, I too often see parents who are willing to leave their kids in the care of other and because the kid is having fun, they call it quality time. I am not perfect, but I would never abandon my child, not for a moment. Who does that? What kind of beast? Even dogs take care of their young.

I don't know if there is a moral to this story. I just had to get it off my chest. Be a father. Be a mother. Be more than whatever is less than a common dog.

- Adolfo

No comments:

Post a Comment